There are, of course, two sides to any transaction, the merchant and the customer. Pushing costs to one side or the other is another way to innovate.
Take Bluebird, the payment card from American Express (AXP) and Wal-Mart (WMT), which I wrote about here last month. As MoneyMorning notes, customers aren't being charged for using the cards when they put their paychecks into them and using Wal-Mart cashiers or AmEx ATMs to take the money out. Instead, Bluebird is charging merchants high interchange fees.
Each mobile payment app that appears -- and Mobile Payments Today recently profiled six of them gets a chance to rewrite the rules. There is a "Wild West" quality to the market now, but that just means competition.
And if you don't think the current players aren't hip to that, you're mistaken. How would you like a credit card with a keypad on it that makes online payments more secure and cheaper? MasterCard is testing one, says CNET. Watch your mailbox.At the time of publication, the author was long GOOG and MSFT. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV