Since I expressed my initial concerns in late September, Apple's shares have fallen by $165.
The shares now stand at $536, and I am buying.
Now let me explain why I have just purchased shares in Apple (my answers correspond to the list of concerns listed at the beginning of this column):
- As I have expressed in my writings over the past few weeks, I am now less concerned about a global economic slowdown than most.
- Investors are no longer smug and have grown increasingly (and arguably fully) aware of the challenges of the delivery of current and future new products.
- Apple's shares are no longer the beneficiary of fund flows -- just the opposite has been occurring, which has materially pressured the shares down to attractive levels.
- At $700, Mr. Market was likely imputing a 2013 new "wow" product (Apple TV?). At current prices, the next "wow" product has been discounted away, and the company's completely refreshed product line (no mean feat in such a short time frame, and if supply comes in line, CEO Tim Cook's main goal for 2013) should be plenty enough new stuff to once again propel earnings throughout 2013. Also, here is a link to AppleInsider, which hints about a possible new product associated with the automobile industry.
- At $536 a share, a discounted dividend model implies that the future growth rate in profits at Apple will be only about 5%. This is too low -- Apple's share price decline has likely now overly discounted most (if not all) of my concerns.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV