NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- What would a week in technology be without Apple (AAPL) as the lead story? Except this story isn't about a new product or the stock hitting an all-time high, it's about concerns the company's products are getting stale and a drop in share price.
Apple shares have come under pressure for a variety of reasons, as the bears come out of their caves and poke holes in the story. Innovation is lacking. Too many products too soon. The marketing isn't what it was. All this has impacted the stock, and there's also been chatter that Samsung is hurting Apple.
Samsung's Galaxy S III surpassed the top-selling Apple phone during the third quarter, Strategy Analytics reported this week, selling 18 million units vs. a reported 16.2 million for the iPhone 4S. Apple launched the iPhone 5 in late September and reportedly sold 6 million units prior to the end of the third quarter.Despite the popularity of the Galaxy S III, consumers are still clamoring for Apple's latest iPhone, the iPhone 5. Supplies are constrained, with Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn Technology reportedly having problems keeping up with demand. > > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll Foxconn Chairman Terry Gou discussed the difficulties of meeting the incredible demand for the iPhone 5 this week. "It's not easy to make the iPhones. We are falling short of meeting the huge demand," he told reporters. Apple was also in the headlines this week on news it could potentially replace Intel (INTC) as the chip supplier in Mac computers. Shares of Apple closed the week sharply lower, down 5.2% at $547.06.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV