Pot Votes In CO, WA Raise Specter Of Weed Tourism
In Denver, some feared that the Colorado marijuana vote could deter tourists, not to mention business visitors.
"Colorado's brand will be damaged, and we may attract fewer conventions and see a decline in leisure travel," Visit Denver CEO Richard Scharf said in a statement before the vote.
Colorado's governor opposed the measure but said after its passage that he didn't envision marijuana tourism materializing.
"I don't think that's going to happen," Democratic Gov. John Hickenlooper said. "They're going to flock here to buy marijuana as if they're going to take it back? On an airplane? That seems unlikely to me."Colorado's measure specifically bans public use of the drug. But guidelines for commercial sales are still to be worked out. The state's 536 medical marijuana dispensaries are banned from allowing on-site consumption, but lawmakers could set different rules for recreational marijuana shops. Marijuana backers downplayed the impact on tourism. Aldworth pointed out that pot-smoking tourists wouldn't exactly be new. Colorado ski slopes already are dotted with "smoke shacks," old mining cabins that have been illicitly repurposed as places to smoke pot out of the cold. And the ski resort town of Breckenridge dropped criminal penalties for marijuana use two years ago. "Some folks come to Colorado and enjoy some marijuana while they are here today," Aldworth said. The sheriff of the county including Aspen was sanguine about the prospects of pot-smoking visitors. "For me, it's going to be live and let live. If people want to come to Colorado because pot is legal â¿¿ and that's the sole reason â¿¿ it's up to them," Pitkin County Sheriff Joe DiSalvo told The Aspen Times. "I am not the lifestyle police." ___ Associated Press reporter Manuel Valdes in Seattle contributed to this report. ___ Find Kristen Wyatt on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/APkristenwyatt
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV