TROY, Mich., Nov. 9, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- In recognition of Veteran's Day, Meritor, Inc. (NYSE: MTOR) today announced a three-year pledge totaling $30,000 from the Meritor Trust Fund to support the Freedom Center located in the McNamara Terminal at Detroit Metropolitan Airport.
This support is in addition to the two-year pledge totaling $20,000, committed this time last year at the official opening dedication of the Freedom Center, and a $5,000 donation to support the Freedom Center Gala event. The Freedom Center is a world-class reception and hospitality area designed to welcome military service members and their families to Detroit, whether passing through or in Detroit for an extended period. All retired and active duty members of the armed services, family members and veterans, are invited to enjoy this new airport amenity.
"We are honored to provide support to our nation's warfighters and their families as they travel through Detroit," said Tim Burns, vice president and general manager, Defense and Specialty, Industrial, Meritor. "During our first 12 months of operation, Freedom Center volunteers have hosted more than 30,000 members of our military, their dependents and veterans. By providing a world-class lounge, we have been able to say 'Thank you for your service' to our troops. They are heroes to all of us and Meritor is committed to them and their families."
Meritor has a long history of supporting armed services members and their families. In 2009, Meritor was recognized with the Pro Patria Award, presented by the Michigan National Guard and Reserve for the company's employee military leave program. Meritor also supports our nation's military personnel through the following efforts:
- Tim Burns is on the board of directors of the Michigan Armed Forces Hospitality Center.
- Recent grassroots employee efforts raised $12,888 for organizations supporting veterans through "jeans day" donations: $7,616 for the Freedom Center and $5,272 for USA Cares, which provides military families with financial and advocacy support.
- Meritor Defense is one of the lead $5,000 "Distinguished Service Cross" sponsors of the Association of the United States Army's (AUSA) Thanksgiving Gala event in November 2012. The event supports worthwhile organizations such as the Fallen & Wounded Soldiers Fund and the John Dingell VA Hospital.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV