The company is still generating cash, though operating cash flow decreased 35% year over year to $42.1 million. As of the end of the quarter, the company had $1.2 billion in cash and cash equivalents. Groupon may use up a significant portion of this cash, as it transitions its business model from daily deals to goods.
Credit Suisse analyst Stephen Ju echoed the thoughts of Stifel's Rohan on investor worries as Groupon pivots its business model.
"We believe investor concern will continue to ensue given the company's short-term decision to prioritize growth in the far lower margin goods business, without clarity as to when growth will return to the higher margin daily deals business," Ju wrote in his research report. He has a neutral rating on Groupon shares with a $6.50 price target.
Groupon is clearly in a state of flux as it tries to recapture some of the luster it lost after accounting problems were uncovered in late April.Hudson Square analyst Dan Ernst downgraded shares as the aggressive push of the goods segments potentially creates problems with its merchants. He also sees the goods business causing operating risks, as well as lower margins. Ernst lowered his rating to hold yet kept his $12 price target intact. Investors looking to bet on a successful turnaround certainly won't need a "Groupon" when buying shares. Not at these levels, and perhaps not ever. Interested in more on Groupon? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV