- Long Island Housing Partnership is participating in numerous initiatives to help Long Islanders recover, including restoring electrical power and plumbing in low- to moderate-income (LMI) communities and assisting those displaced in relocating to temporary housing. As of this week, more than 260,000 homes were still without power in Long Island and almost 39,000 families have applied for assistance from FEMA. LIHP has requested the authority to use Homeownership Emergency Assistance Program (HEMAP) funds for emergency loans to address these issues while homeowners await funds from FEMA or private insurance sources.
- Margert Community Corporation in the Rockaways, Queens, has set up temporary headquarters to begin assisting the 1,000 area residents it serves with housing, support filing applications for FEMA assistance, and foreclosure prevention services. The Rockaway community was hit particularly hard by the storm. More than 19,000 homes remain without power and many homeowners suffered severe damage.
- Ironbound Community Corporation in Newark, New Jersey, will devote its two Family Success Centers to offering a broad range of relief assistance including support for families filing applications for FEMA assistance and insurance claims to repair their homes. The Ironbound community experienced some of the heaviest flooding in the region.
- Neighborhood Housing Services of Staten Island has established a special Staten Island Recovers Disaster Assistance Program to provide emergency loans to repair hurricane-damaged properties.
- Asian Americans for Equality (AAFE) will offer homeowners emergency loans in communities across New York City. The loans will help homeowners and tenants meet their immediate, short-term repair needs, enabling them to return home sooner.
Citi Announces $500,000 To Support Community-Based Organizations On The Frontline Of Hurricane Sandy Relief Efforts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts