She continued, “These actions include the addition of new management and significant investments and enhancements to staffing, processes and technology, all of which is geared toward preventing consumer fraud and ensuring we meet the highest levels of regulatory compliance. During that time, we have invested more than $84 million in our compliance programs. We remain fully committed to conducting our business with the highest levels of integrity and remain vigilant in our efforts to partner with law enforcement and regulators to thwart illegal activity.”
MoneyGram has taken remedial actions and implemented new compliance standards to strengthen its anti-fraud and anti-money laundering programs. A summary of these actions includes:
- Terminated relationships with agents suspected to be involved in consumer fraud related to the MDPA and US DOJ investigation and aided in the prosecution of agents involved in criminal activities.
- Paid $18 million as part of an agreement with the Federal Trade Commission in October of 2009, pursuant to which the FTC distributed the funds to consumers who were victims of the consumer fraud perpetrated through MoneyGram agents.
- Overhauled its global compliance, AML and anti-fraud organization with a focus on building a more comprehensive compliance-based culture. The Chief Compliance Officer has the authority to terminate MoneyGram agents for fraud or money-laundering concerns.
- Created two new executive-level positions with responsibility for enhancing efforts to combat consumer fraud, fostering cooperation with law enforcement, enhancing interaction with U.S. and International regulators and enhancing MoneyGram’s compliance systems.
- Bolstered global compliance and risk management procedures by implementing a risk-based agent audit program which includes the implementation of a new anti-fraud alert system and a financial intelligence unit both of which are responsible for monitoring transactions and agent behavior.
- Implemented a new agent training program that provides information on the types of consumer fraud scams as well as how to detect, prevent, report and handle suspicious transactions.
- Strengthened partnerships with law enforcement globally to assist in the investigation and prosecution of money laundering, fraud and other matters. In the U.S., those agencies include the Federal Bureau of Investigation, U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement, U.S. Marshals Service, Drug Enforcement Agency, U.S. Secret Service, and U.S. Postal Service.
MoneyGram is committed to ensuring that it remains in strict compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and standards in each of the markets and jurisdictions in which it operates.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV