CHICAGO, Nov. 9, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Despite higher than average unemployment rates, employment prospects for U.S. military veterans may be improving.
According to a new CareerBuilder study, 29 percent of employers say they are actively recruiting veterans to work for their organizations, up 9 percentage points from a year ago. Twenty-two percent are planning on adding members of the National Guard to their headcount, up 8 percentage points. Sixty-five percent said they would be more likely to hire a veteran over another equally qualified candidate. The survey was conducted by Harris Interactive© of more than 2,600 employers nationwide from August 13 to September 6, 2012.
Now CareerBuilder and Military Times are joining forces at www.MilitaryTimes.com/Jobs to help veterans access the tools and information they need to connect them with the employers who most want to hire them. The Military Times Network, which includes ArmyTimes.com, AirForceTimes.com, NavyTimes.com and MarineCorpsTimes.com, in addition to MilitaryTimes.com, is visited by more than 2.5 million unique visitors each month, and offers unique content for each of the branches of the U.S. military online, and in print.
Where The Job Opportunities AreEmployers are looking to leverage the technical and leadership skills of military personnel, with 3 in 10 hoping to fill information technology positions with veterans. The most common areas for hiring U.S. service men and women are:
- Information Technology – 30 percent
- Customer Service – 23 percent
- Engineering – 22 percent
- Sales – 20 percent
- Manufacturing – 20 percent
- Business Development – 15 percent
- Access a skills-translator that uses a veteran's military job code to find the civilian jobs that best match the veteran's skills.
- Search for jobs by occupation, company, industry and location, and post up to five versions of their resume to appeal to a wider cast of employers.
- Check out articles featuring job search and workplace advice for veterans.
- Stay up to date on the latest job fairs and hiring trends for veterans.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV