MBIA Inc Stock Downgraded (MBI)
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Insurance industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 98.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $445.00 million to $7.00 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 4.49 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company.
- MBIA INC has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past year. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, MBIA INC swung to a loss, reporting -$6.67 versus $0.28 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.33 versus -$6.67).
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Insurance industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, MBIA INC underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- MBI, with its very weak revenue results, has greatly underperformed against the industry average of 21.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues plummeted by 79.0%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff
FREE for a limited time only: Get TheStreet Ratings #1 Stock Report NOW!
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts