Nov. 8, 2012
/PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The National League of Cities (NLC) will recognize 27 selected programs from 21 cities and towns nationwide as successful initiatives demonstrating effective and collaborative approaches within government.
The programs will be highlighted during the 2012 City Showcase at this year's Congress of Cities and Exposition, held in
November 28-December 1
. The Showcase is NLC's premier program celebrating city achievements. During the conference, representatives from these programs will engage in networking and knowledge-sharing about implementation strategies, successes and lessons learned.
This year's programs were selected for their innovative practices. An emphasis was also placed on initiatives that align with the conference programming: Promoting Strong Local Economies, Building Sustainable Communities and Strengthening Neighborhoods and Families.
Together the programs chosen encompass a wide range of geographical locations, city sizes and topic areas.
This year's 2012 City Showcase participants are:
- Ann Arbor, MI : Ann Arbor Sustainability Framework
- Arlington, MA: Hoarding Response Team
- Cathedral City, CA: Cathedral City Energy Action Plan
- Danvers, MA: Project Sunshine
- Delray Beach, FL: Community Solutions Action Plan
- Flagstaff, AZ: City of Flagstaff Resiliency and Preparedness Initiative
- Glastonbury, CT: Purple Heart Homes
- Hillsboro, OR: Hillsboro Electric Vehicle Program
- Kansas City, MO: Enterprise Sustainability Platform
- Kansas City, MO: Middle Blue River Basin Green Solutions Pilot Project
- Lexington, SC: Town of Lexington Vision Plan
- Lowell, MA: Neighborhood Impact Initiative
- Moore, OK: Recycle Moore
- Nashville, TN: Limitless Libraries
- Newark, NJ: Let's Move! Newark
- New Brighton, MN: Read to Play
- Northfield, MN: PRIMEtime Out-of-School-Time Collaborative
- Perris, CA : Enchanted Heights Sewer System
- Savannah, GA : Step Up Savannah
- Sudbury, MA: Regional Housing Services Office (also Towns of Acton, Bedford, Concord, Lexington, Weston)
- Urbandale, IA: Making a Connection
, this year's Congress of Cities host, is showcasing six of their successful civic initiatives as part of the City Showcase:
- Boston Bikes
- Boston Public Schools Team BPS and Parent University
- Mayor's Office of New Bostonians
- Success Boston
- Tech Goes Home
- Thrive in 5 Boston
For more information on the City Showcase, visit:
The National League of Cities is dedicated to helping city leaders build better communities. NLC is a resource and advocate for 19,000 cities, towns and villages, representing more than 218 million Americans.
SOURCE National League of Cities