That means 2013 may not have enough new product introductions of any consequence, as opposed to product tweaks, to propel the stock higher. However, next year will certainly have enough in it to make the stock go lower, thanks to the fiscal cliff's revision in capital-gains taxes. If your taxes double on your gain in Apple, it can be much better to sell now than sell later. I recently sold a lot of the stock for my charitable trust after listening to Isaacson. I couldn't act on it immediately because of my restrictions, but I also never pride myself in calling the exact top on a stock. The trust had a double, and Apple was way too big a position vs. everything else because of price appreciation. That points to the essence of greed.
That said, you may well believe the fiscal cliff is heading for resolution without all that big of a tax hike -- and Apple stock could well fall to a level that simply makes it too cheap on the basis of its dividend and its price-to-earnings multiple, which wouldn't be all that far from current levels. In that case, you might be tempted to hold on for a new product we don't know about that's been developed post-Jobs. It's a tall order, though.
Here's another way to look at it. You want to hold on to your Apple? Write your congressperson. She's in charge right now, not Apple, and last I looked I would rather pay Uncle Sam $1 today than $2 tomorrow.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV