NEW YORK (TheStreet) --Bank of America (BAC) may speed up its sale of its mortgage servicing portfolio, according to a report published Thursday by Sterne Agee analyst Henry Coffey on mortgage servicer Nationstar Mortgage Holdings. (NSM).
"For most of the last 18 months, Bank of America...has been periodically selling larger blocks of servicing and selling/subservicing $10-$20 billion blocks of servicing on a quarterly basis," Coffey writes. "In the third quarter the company transferred $19 billion in servicing. Various industry sources have indicated to us that they expect [Bank of America] to accelerate this process."
An email message to Bank of America spokespeople seeking comment on the report wasn't returned.
Coffey added Nationstar to a "catalyst buy list," as a result of this information, while maintaining his overall "neutral" rating on Nationstar, which is majority-owned by Fortress Investment Group (FIG).Nationstar has been competing with other independent servicers to buy mortgage servicing assets as many companies have been moving out of the business. In one recent deal, Nationstar and Berkshire Hathaway lost out to Ocwen Financial in a bid for the servicing portfolio of Residential Capital, the mortgage unit of the former GMAC. Wells Fargo appeared to be the only one of the big four U.S. banks interested in growing its servicing businesses, since new bank capital rules are more punitive toward mortgage servicing . However, JPMorgan Chase signaled it remains interested in growing mortgage servicing when it acquired a $70 billion portfolio from MetLife. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV