Non-GAAP financial information is adjusted for the following items:
- Amortization expense of intangibles is excluded because it does not impact cash earnings.
- Stock-based employee compensation expense is excluded because it does not impact cash earnings and is reflected in earnings per share through increased share count.
- Interest expense related to the amortization of debt discount and gains or losses on early debt extinguishment related to convertible debt are excluded because they are non-cash in nature.
- Charges or benefits related to judgments, rulings, or settlements of hotel occupancy tax proceedings are excluded because the amount and timing of these items are unpredictable, not driven by core operating results and render comparisons with prior periods less meaningful.
- Income tax expense is adjusted for the tax impact of certain of the non-GAAP adjustments described above and to exclude tax expense recorded where no actual tax payments are owed because of available net operating loss carry forwards. In addition, the benefit in second quarter 2011 related to the reversal of a reserve for unrecognized tax benefits attributable to tax positions taken in 2010 is excluded because the amount and timing of this type of item is unpredictable, not driven by core operating results and render comparisons with prior periods less meaningful.
- Net income and loss attributable to noncontrolling interests is adjusted for the impact of certain of the non-GAAP adjustments described above
- For calculating non-GAAP net income per share:
- net income is adjusted for the impact of the non-GAAP adjustments described above.
- additional unvested shares of restricted common stock, restricted stock units and performance share units are included in the calculation of non-GAAP net income per share because non-GAAP net income has been adjusted to exclude stock-based employee compensation expense.
The presentation of this financial information should not be considered in isolation or as a substitute for the financial information prepared and presented in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles in the United States.
About The Priceline GroupThe Priceline Group (Nasdaq: PCLN) is a leader in global online hotel reservations, with over 270,000 participating hotels worldwide. The Group is composed of four primary brands - Booking.com, priceline.com, Agoda.com and Rentalcars.com - and several ancillary brands. The Priceline Group provides online travel services in over 180 countries in Europe, North America, South America, the Asia-Pacific region, the Middle East and Africa.
Booking.com is the number one online hotel reservation service in the world, offering over 245,000 hotels (as of November 1, 2012), and is available in 41 languages. More recent hotel counts are available on the Booking.com website. Priceline.com gives leisure travelers multiple ways to save on their airline tickets, hotel rooms, rental cars, vacation packages and cruises. In addition to getting compelling published prices, travelers can take advantage of priceline.com's famous Name Your Own Price® service, which can deliver the lowest prices available, or the recently added Express Deals(SM), where travelers can take advantage of hotel discounts without bidding. Agoda.com is an Asia-based online hotel reservation service that is available in 38 languages. Rentalcars.com is a multinational car hire service, offering its reservation services in over 6,000 locations. Customer support is provided in 40 languages.Participants in Solicitation Priceline, KAYAK and their respective directors and executive officers may be deemed to be participants in the solicitation of proxies from KAYAK's stockholders with respect to the transactions contemplated by that certain Merger Agreement, dated as of November 8, 2012, by and between KAYAK, Priceline and Produce Merger Sub, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Priceline. Information regarding KAYAK's directors and executive officers is contained in KAYAK's final prospectus for its initial public offering (File No. 333-170640), which was filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, or the SEC, on July 20, 2012. You can obtain a free copy of this document at the SEC's website at www.sec.gov or by accessing KAYAK's website at www.kayak.com and clicking on the "About" link and then clicking on the "Investor Relations" link and "SEC Filings". As of November 8, 2012, KAYAK's directors and officers, collectively, beneficially owned approximately 28,824,262 shares, or 70.4%, of KAYAK's Class A and Class B common stock, which represents 77.9% voting power. Additional information regarding the interests of the participants in the solicitation of proxies in connection with the transaction will be included in the Proxy Statement/Prospectus described below. Information regarding Priceline's executive officers and directors is contained in Priceline's definitive proxy statement filed with the SEC on April 24, 2012. You can obtain a free copy of this document at the SEC's website at www.sec.gov or by accessing Priceline's website at www.priceline.com and clicking on the "Investor Relations" link and then clicking on the "Financial Information" link.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV