- Continued strength in North American revenue growth. North American revenues grew 81% year-over-year, driven by growth in direct revenue, or the amount earned from the sale of products for which Groupon is the merchant of record.
- Rapid growth in Groupon Goods. Groupon Goods reached an annual run rate of nearly $1.5 billion in global billings and nearly $500 million in revenues shortly after its one-year anniversary.
- Improved marketing efficiencies. Customer acquisition costs improved 55% year-over-year, enabling the reduction of marketing spend by 58% compared with the third quarter 2011.
- Subscriber milestone. In the third quarter 2012, the Company surpassed the 200 million subscriber mark.
- Solid growth in active customers. As of September 30, 2012, Groupon had 39.5 million active customers, an increase of 37% year-over-year.
- Growing merchant selection and quality. For the third straight quarter, Groupon featured more than 100,000 unique merchants, with the number of active deals increasing by nearly thirteen times year-over-year to more than 27,000 as of the end of the third quarter.
- Mobile transaction activity remains high. In October 2012, about one third of North American transactions were completed on mobile devices, an increase of nearly 30% compared with October 2011.
- Further expansion of merchant tool suite. In the third quarter 2012, the Company expanded its suite of merchant tools, with the launch of Groupon Payments, as well as Breadcrumb, an iPad-based point-of-sale system for restaurants.
Fourth Quarter 2012 Outlook
Revenue for the fourth quarter 2012 is expected to be between $625 million and $675 million, an increase of between 27% and 37% compared with the fourth quarter 2011.
Income from operations for the fourth quarter 2012 is expected to be between $0 million and $20 million, compared with a loss from operations of $15.0 million in the fourth quarter 2011. This outlook includes approximately $30 million of stock-based compensation. The outlook further assumes no acquisitions or investments, or material changes in foreign exchange rates.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts