The Home Depot Foundation Completes 350 Projects For Veterans In 60 Days During Second Annual Celebration Of Service Campaign
ATLANTA, Nov. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Since kicking off its annual Celebration of Service campaign on September 11, The Home Depot® Foundation and 12,000 Team Depot volunteers have completed 350 projects assisting U.S. military veterans and their families. This $3 million effort to repair and renovate veterans' homes and facilities is part of the Foundation's $50 million commitment to veterans' housing initiatives over the next three years. This year's campaign officially concludes on Veterans Day.
During the two-month campaign, Team Depot, the company's associate-led volunteer force, has repaired and renovated hundreds of homes and facilities in cooperation with local and national nonprofits across the country. From building wheelchair ramps and remodeling kitchens to painting and roofing repairs, Home Depot associates have used their home improvement skills to make a difference for veterans:
- 300 single family homes in cooperation with nonprofit organizations including Rebuilding Together Houston and Habitat for Humanity of Greater Los Angeles among many others;
- 85 veteran housing facilities, including temporary homes for wounded warriors and their families such as the Fisher House in Miami, Florida, and supportive and permanent housing for formerly homeless veterans such as Volunteers of America Northern New England in Saco, Maine;
- 10 veteran medical facilities, including Hollidaysburg Veterans Home in Hollidaysburg, PA and Dayton VA Medical Center in Dayton, OH
"As we commemorate Veterans Day and conclude our 2012 Celebration of Service campaign, we are even more committed to our year round mission to ensure that every veteran has a safe place to call home," said Kelly Caffarelli, president of The Home Depot Foundation. "Over the last two months, we've met and helped veterans across the country from all different walks of life – men and women, young and old, able bodied and physically challenged. These experiences have strengthened our resolve to recognize and serve veterans of all generations who may be struggling with housing challenges, aging in place and the transition into civilian life."As its 2012 Celebration of Service campaign comes to a close this weekend, The Home Depot Foundation and Team Depot are fanning out across the country in a last round of activities in honor of Veterans Day, including:
- Columbus, OH – The transformation of a home away from home for veteran students at The Ohio State University. The home, run by The Office of Student Life, can house up to 10 military veteran students. The interior of the home will be painted, new flooring will be installed, and upgrades to the lighting and kitchen will be completed. Team Depot associate volunteers will also complete landscaping projects and install exterior lighting.
"This, for us, is part of a larger picture of how we as an institution embrace, support and welcome returning veterans to be a part of The Ohio State University community," said Colin Brown, senior director of Development for The Ohio State University Office of Student Life. "The Office of Student Life is excited to work with The Home Depot Foundation and this will be a great project to serve and support our veteran students' needs."
- San Diego, CA – ESPN's College Game Day will commemorate Veterans Day with a live broadcast from the USS San Diego. The program will highlight information about The Home Depot's commitment to veterans and will feature appearances by ten Home Depot associates who have served in the U.S. military.
- Atlanta, GA – The Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta, GA will host a Veterans Appreciation Celebration to honor Veterans Day. The event kicks off the new partnership between the Georgia Aquarium and The Home Depot Foundation to sponsor admissions for active duty military and veterans as well as a new "Swim with Gentle Giants" program to provide wounded warriors with therapeutic swims with the Aquarium's whale sharks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV