This Day On The Street
Continue to site
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

FirstEnergy And AMP Sign Memorandum Of Understanding To Build New Natural Gas Generation In Eastlake

AKRON, Ohio, Nov. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- FirstEnergy Corp. (NYSE: FE) and American Municipal Power, Inc. (AMP) have entered into a non-binding memorandum of understanding (MOU) to site, build and operate a natural gas peaking facility located on the grounds of FirstEnergy's existing Eastlake Plant in Eastlake, Ohio.  The proposed project is subject to regulatory approval.

As part of the non-binding MOU, FirstEnergy would supervise construction of the four combustion turbine units that are capable of producing 873 megawatts (MW).  AMP will provide the construction financing and own 75 percent of the generation output upon completion, while FirstEnergy will fund and own the remaining 25 percent of the output in 2016.  Plans call for the facility to be operational in early 2016. 

Adding new generation is expected to reduce or extend the timeframe for some of the previously announced transmission projects planned by FirstEnergy by alternatively addressing reliability concerns resulting from power plants being deactivated in the region due to new U.S. Environmental Protection Agency rules.

"This project is expected to reduce our estimated transmission spending for projects related to plant deactivations by about $200 million through 2016," said Mark T. Clark, executive vice president and chief financial officer, FirstEnergy.  "Our estimated transmission spend could then be in the $500 to $700 million range, with approximately $150 million of that total to be incurred in 2013."

Plant construction is expected to begin in the latter half of 2014 and will take approximately 15 – 20 months to complete.  It is expected that up to 150 temporary construction jobs will be created for this project. 

FirstEnergy's Eastlake Plant was selected for the new combustion turbines due to its existing transmission system interconnections and the fact it is located in a region that could be impacted by the deactivation of older power plants.  Earlier this year, FirstEnergy announced that nine older, coal-fired power plants, including the Eastlake Plant, would be deactivated as a result of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's new Mercury and Air Toxics Standards (MATS) and other environmental regulations. 

1 of 2

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Real Money

More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.

Product Features:
  • Access to Jim Cramer's daily blog
  • Intraday commentary and news
  • Real-time trading forums
Only $49.95
14-Days Free
14-Days Free


Chart of I:DJI
DOW 17,798.49 -14.90 -0.08%
S&P 500 2,090.11 +1.24 0.06%
NASDAQ 5,127.5250 +11.3820 0.22%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs