PLEASANTON, Calif., Nov. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY) today announced it has reached a tentative agreement on a new three-year labor agreement with United Food and Commercial Workers Union (UFCW) Locals 5, 8 and 648 representing the company's employees in Northern California. The new agreement will be recommended for ratification by the local unions to their members."This new agreement provides our employees with among the best wages, benefits and working conditions in the region, while ensuring the company can compete successfully in the future, " said Karl Schroeder, President of Safeway's Northern California Division. The agreement also provides that Safeway will remain in the health and welfare fund, jointly administered by union and employer trustees, for the term of the agreement for all eligible employees and retirees.
The tentative agreement was the result of many months of negotiations during which the important and complex issues surrounding healthcare, employee compensation and other matters were addressed using solutions benefiting both employees and the company.
About Safeway www.Safeway.com Safeway Inc. is a Fortune 100 company and one of the largest food and drug retailers in North America, based on sales. The company operates 1,644 stores in the United States and western Canada and had annual sales of $43.6 billion in 2011. The company's common stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "SWY."
Contact: Keith Turner, 925-467-2212 Keith.Turner@Safeway.comSOURCE Safeway Inc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV