As Facebook tops one billion active users per month, experts predict it will increasingly become a fully integrated part of how we do everything from chat to shop. In fact, experts at Booz & Company expect the market for social commerce—a subset of e-commerce that uses social media to buy and sell goods—to explode to $30 billion USD in just three years. FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) is ahead of that innovation curve, today launching the FedEx® Ship to Friends app that allows people who use Facebook to prepare and pay for a U.S. domestic shipment without ever leaving Facebook.
FedEx Ship to Friends is designed for the tech-savvy, social-media hungry generation that’s never known a world without FedEx. The intuitive online shipping app can be found at https://apps.facebook.com/fedexshipping. To use, Facebook members:
- Select the app from the menu and click “Start Shipping”
- Populate the fields with basic details on the package’s origin, destination, dimensions and estimated weight
- Choose the speed of service desired—from “Premium Choice” to “Best Deal”—and compare the estimated rates
- Enter credit card payment information via the secure payment platform
- Once the transaction is complete, an email with a PDF of the shipping label and tracking number will be emailed directly to the shipper
- Simply print the label, affix it to the package and drop it off at the most convenient FedEx location
The app allows people to easily share with friends to let them know about packages they’ve shipped. Once a shipment is complete, people have the option to post to their friend’s timeline that they’re shipping a package to them and can include a customized message. The app also provides a drop down menu of Facebook friends to select from as the recipient of the package, making it even easier to ship a package quickly. The app is available on desktop as well as mobile devices.