SAN DIEGO, Nov. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- As the weather cools down and natural gas usage increases, San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) is reminding residents and businesses to call 811 to have utility-owned lines marked before digging in the garden or at construction sites. Calling 811 or Underground Service Alert will help avoid possible injury or damage to hidden gas lines or service interruption.
A utility line is damaged by digging once every three minutes nationwide, and many of these incidents are caused by failure of the professional excavator or homeowner to call 811 before beginning their digging project. Even if relatively minor projects are involved, such as putting up a new wall or fence, building a deck, planting or removing large trees or any other renovations, the digging necessary for these projects can result in hitting gas lines if they aren't located prior to the work.
"Since gas lines that serve homes and businesses are located underground and out of sight, residents and business owners won't know where they are located. We urge everyone – whether digging at their businesses or homes -- to make the quick 811 phone call to Underground Service Alert to have utility-owned lines marked for free," said Jimmie Cho, vice president of field services at SDG&E.
In 2011, there were 158 "dig-ins" to SDG&E gas pipelines which the utility hopes will decrease this year through increased public awareness.Before digging in their yard, place of business or the street, residents and business owners should mark the proposed excavation area, and call 811 to reach Underground Service Alert at least two business days before the project is to begin. Underground Service Alert is free and they will contact SDG&E and other area utilities. Each utility will then locate and mark the underground lines, pipes and cables they own.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV