Goldman said that "the ratio of compensation and benefits to net revenues for the first nine months of 2012 was 44.0%, consistent with the first nine months of 2011," and that third-quarter non-compensation expenses of $2.38 billion were up 4% from the second quarter, but down 13% from the third quarter of 2011, with the decline mainly reflecting "lower brokerage, clearing, exchange and distribution fees which principally reflected lower transaction volumes in Equities, lower expenses related to the U.K. bank levy (approximately $100 million related to the enactment of the U.K. bank levy was included in other expenses in the third quarter of 2011) and the impact of expense reduction initiatives."
Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein said in the company's earnings press release that "this quarter's performance was generally solid in the context of a still challenging economic environment."
During Goldman's earnings conference call, incoming CFO Harvey Schwartz said "we continue to be focused on our cost-saving initiatives, and year to date, our non-compensation expenses are running 10% lower than the first three quarters of 2011."
Goldman repurchased 11.8 million shares during the third quarter for $1.25 billion, with year-to-date share buybacks totaling $3.11 billion, as of Sept. 30.Goldman's annualized third-quarter return on average common equity was 8.6%, and Carrier said that the firm was in a strong position that "could add roughly 6-7% to its
Interested in more on Goldman Sachs? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV