Buying Instead Of Rebuilding After Disaster
That means you'll need to hire some help, such as a public insurance adjuster. Contractors aren't going to want to put the time into estimates for a theoretical job they'll never get.
Essentially you have to recreate on paper the house to figure out what you're entitled to, Reitz says. "That's quite a process to figure out. . . . It's hard for people to navigate on their own."
Why not just accept what the insurance company offers?
Many insurance company adjusters do a good job, but the home insurance company has an incentive to keep costs down, Reitz says. Insurance companies want to interpret coverage as narrowly as possible, while homeowners want a broad interpretation.
Once you agree on a settlement, the insurance company won't release the full amount of the replacement cost until you've actually bought a replacement home. Then the insurer will want to make sure the money is spent toward a comparable replacement. Insurance is supposed to put you back to where you were -- not make you better off. You're free to buy a bigger and better home than you had, but you'll have to foot the bill for any amenities in a new home that you didn't have in your old house.As you go through the process, don't rush any decisions. Both Raab and Reitz have seen clients' marriages crater under the stress of losing everything in a disaster. "Don't underestimate the stress you and your family may be going through," Raab says. "Ask for help from your agent or trusted adviser. Don't make decisions under duress."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV