NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- MBIA (MBI)'s third quarter earnings missed analyst estimates, but demonstrated the bond insurer maintains sufficient liquidity to continue its legal battle with Bank of America (BAC) over subprime mortgages, according to at least two analysts.
In a note published Wednesday, Standard and Poor's left its rating on MBIA unchanged, contending that it has sufficient "cash and short-term investments to cover its debt-servicing needs and operating-expense obligations through 2013."
BTIG equity analyst Mark Palmer concurred in a report published Thursday. Palmer has a buy rating and target price of $22 on MBIA versus its $9.25 price in early trading Thursday.
Palmer wrote that though MBIA's third quarter earnings release, operating supplement and 10-Q "contain an ocean of figures, there is one amount that really matters, in our view: $386
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV