Nov. 8, 2012
/PRNewswire/ -- The Kroger Co. (NYSE: KR) today announced a renewed commitment to hiring veterans of the United States Armed Forces. The company is encouraging military veterans seeking employment to visit
to learn more and find links to apply for a job.
Hiring Our Heroes
initiative is an extension of the company's
Honoring Our Heroes
program, which aims to support the military and their families through a variety of in-store and online activities.
Kroger's commitment includes joining several major companies in the
100,000 Jobs Mission
, with a goal of collectively hiring more than 100,000 transitioning service members and military veterans by 2020. More than 17,000 veterans have joined Kroger's ranks since 2009.
"We are grateful that veterans have served Kroger customers for more than a century," said
, Kroger's chairman and chief executive officer. "Today, hundreds of Kroger associates serve in the armed forces, either as members of reserve units or on active-duty status, and thousands are military veterans. With more veterans coming home, we are continuing this proud tradition through a renewed commitment to recruit our nation's military and veterans."
Examples of Kroger's multifaceted commitment to the military and their families include:
- Kroger has hired 17,398 veterans since 2009, according to voluntary reporting.
- Kroger attended 15 RecruitMilitary veterans career fairs in 2012 and plans to attend 16 in 2013.
- Since 2010, Kroger has raised more than $5 million to help the USO lift the spirits of our service members around the world.
- In addition to in-store campaigns to support the USO, Kroger makes it easy to support the troops online. By visiting www.honoringourheroes.com, customers can volunteer with the USO, make a donation or write a note to a service member. They also can learn more about the USO and Kroger employees who serve in the armed forces.
- Kroger associates recently formed the Kroger Veterans Associate Resource Group, an affinity group that helps fellow veterans connect in the workplace through education, mentoring and networking opportunities.
Kroger, one of the world's largest retailers, employs more than 339,000 associates who serve customers in 2,425 supermarkets and multi-department stores in 31 states under two dozen local banner names including Kroger, City Market, Dillons, Jay C, Food 4 Less,
, Fry's, King Soopers, QFC, Ralphs and Smith's. The company also operates 788 convenience stores, 342 fine jewelry stores, 1,124 supermarket fuel centers and 37 food processing plants in the U.S. Recognized by Forbes as the most generous company in America, Kroger supports hunger relief, breast cancer awareness, the military and their families, and more than 30,000 schools and grassroots organizations. Kroger contributes food and funds equal to 160 million meals a year through more than 80 Feeding America food bank partners. A leader in supplier diversity, Kroger is a proud member of the
Billion Dollar Roundtable
and the U.S. Hispanic Chamber's
Million Dollar Club
SOURCE The Kroger Co.