CINCINNATI, Nov. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The Kroger Co. (NYSE: KR) today announced a renewed commitment to hiring veterans of the United States Armed Forces. The company is encouraging military veterans seeking employment to visit www.honoringourheroes.com to learn more and find links to apply for a job.
Kroger's Hiring Our Heroes initiative is an extension of the company's Honoring Our Heroes program, which aims to support the military and their families through a variety of in-store and online activities.
Kroger's commitment includes joining several major companies in the 100,000 Jobs Mission, with a goal of collectively hiring more than 100,000 transitioning service members and military veterans by 2020. More than 17,000 veterans have joined Kroger's ranks since 2009.
"We are grateful that veterans have served Kroger customers for more than a century," said David Dillon, Kroger's chairman and chief executive officer. "Today, hundreds of Kroger associates serve in the armed forces, either as members of reserve units or on active-duty status, and thousands are military veterans. With more veterans coming home, we are continuing this proud tradition through a renewed commitment to recruit our nation's military and veterans."Examples of Kroger's multifaceted commitment to the military and their families include:
- Kroger has hired 17,398 veterans since 2009, according to voluntary reporting.
- Kroger attended 15 RecruitMilitary veterans career fairs in 2012 and plans to attend 16 in 2013.
- Since 2010, Kroger has raised more than $5 million to help the USO lift the spirits of our service members around the world.
- In addition to in-store campaigns to support the USO, Kroger makes it easy to support the troops online. By visiting www.honoringourheroes.com, customers can volunteer with the USO, make a donation or write a note to a service member. They also can learn more about the USO and Kroger employees who serve in the armed forces.
- Kroger associates recently formed the Kroger Veterans Associate Resource Group, an affinity group that helps fellow veterans connect in the workplace through education, mentoring and networking opportunities.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts