Bank of America
A similar setup is shaping up in shares of Bank of America (BAC), it's just not as far long yet.
BofA is forming an ascending triangle, much like the one that Ford broke out of at the end of October. The pattern is formed by a horizontal resistance level and uptrending support -- basically, as shares of BAC bounce in between those two technical price levels, they're getting squeezed closer and closer to a breakout above resistance. For BAC, resistance comes in at $10 -- the breakout above that level is the buy signal for shares.
If you're a regular reader of this column, you know that talking about technical setups in real terms is crucial. After all, patterns like the ascending triangle don't work because of magic or geometry; it all comes down to supply and demand in the market. Resistance at $10 is a place where there's a glut of supply of shares. That's because it's a price where sellers have previously been more eager to sell and take gains than buyers were to keep buying. The breakout above $10 means that buyers have absorbed all of that excess supply at $10, and suddenly BAC doesn't have a barrier in the way of upside anymore. That's when you want to buy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV