Starbucks did $3.36 billion in revenue in its fourth quarter, with a significant portion of those transactions being credit and debit-card sales. Starbucks does not break down the percentage of payments.
Starbucks has its own mobile payment app, but the deal with Square takes the mobile payments industry on another level. "Starbucks has scale with ~7,000 U.S. stores (~4,000 licensed), and the partnership will likely be a key reference case for awareness of mobile retailing," JPMorgan wrote in a recent research note discussing the initial deal between Square and Starbucks.
It may take a while for consumers to adapt to the Square Wallet, but the future is in mobile payments. According to data from Ernst & Young, mobile payments are expected to be big business. The market is projected to reach a massive $245 billion by 2014.
Companies are fighting for everyone of those dollars, and the deal starting so soon after the announcement puts Square in an enviable position to capture a significant portion of that market.Interested in more on Starbucks? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV