Quest Software, Inc. (now a part of Dell) today introduced new advice on how to maximize the deployment of the social functionality in SharePoint 2013 to accelerate user adoption. In addition, the company unveiled Quest® Social Hub – available now on the Microsoft SharePoint Store – a new companion tool to Quest Web Parts for SharePoint that enables users to integrate external social media networks within SharePoint.
Much has been made about the advantages offered by SharePoint 2013, including shredded storage, HTML5 UIs, new APIs and a cloud-friendly application model. But these new capabilities alone will not drive adoption because end users simply don’t care about features designed for engineers and developers. The key feature in SharePoint 2013 is social ─ geared for end users and transforming the collaboration experience, which, in turn, can drive SharePoint adoption.
Why IT should care about social in SharePoint 2013
The social enhancements in SharePoint 2013 enable organizations to greatly improve the work experience for users. New features include:
- A community site template with rich capabilities expected in vibrant communities
- Newsfeed support including the ability to add comments, tags, links, and pictures
- #Tags and @target support, which brings common social media functionality used in a variety of other mediums into SharePoint
Traditional SharePoint information architecture is based on a classic
“top-down” hierarchy. To revolutionize the user experience and,
thereby, increase usage and adoption, Quest recommends IT turn the
SharePoint 2013 information architecture upside down to leverage its
powerful social technology.
- Start with My Site as the default home and entry to SharePoint, followed by community, team, department and portal sites. When users enter SharePoint through their My Site, they immediately have places to store files and share them using @targets, and can find other colleagues, sites, content and #tags to follow on their newsfeed.
- The portal/home page then becomes a common index to everything available on SharePoint, and is placed at the bottom of the hierarchy.
Despite the powerful additions to social features in SharePoint 2013,
there is no out-of-the-box option to integrate external social media
feeds within SharePoint.
Social Hub enables users to integrate external social media
networks within SharePoint.
- Users can view and/or respond to Facebook, Twitter, and RSS feeds from within a single SharePoint interface, immediately upon entering their My Site.
- By bringing external social feeds into SharePoint, organizations can keep user collaboration inside the enterprise and further enhance the user experience.
- “SharePoint 2013 brings a full bag of social goodies such as sharing, newsfeeds, badges, and buttons that will transform the user experience and accelerate SharePoint adoption. We recommend that organizations build their information architecture so that My Site is the SharePoint home page, making the collaborative social features available to users at the entry point. Collaboration can happen outside of SharePoint, but, by bringing social media collaboration into SharePoint, IT can keep sensitive information inside the enterprise, enhance the end user experience, and increase SharePoint usage and adoption.”
- More Quest news: http://www.quest.com/newsroom/
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/quest
- Facebook: http://www.quest.com/facebook
- LinkedIn: http://www.quest.com/linkedin
- Quest TV: http://www.quest.com/tv/
- Quest news releases: http://www.quest.com/rss/news-releases.aspx
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV