Zalicus Inc. (NASDAQ: ZLCS) a biopharmaceutical company that discovers and develops novel treatments for patients suffering from pain, today reported financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2012.
“We are focusing our resources and efforts on advancing the clinical development of our ion channel programs including Z160, our first-in-class, oral N-type calcium channel blocker for the treatment of chronic neuropathic pain and Z944, a novel oral T-type calcium channel blocker,” commented Mark H.N. Corrigan, MD, President and CEO of Zalicus. “During the third quarter we advanced Z160 into a Phase 2a clinical trial for chronic back pain and remain on track to initiate a second Phase 2a clinical trial with Z160 in postherpetic neuralgia in the fourth quarter of this year.”
Third Quarter 2012 and Recent Accomplishments:
- Advanced Z160, a first-in-class, oral, state dependent, selective N-type calcium channel (Cav 2.2) blocker into the first of two planned Phase 2a clinical trials for neuropathic pain. Patient enrollment in the first of these Phase 2a studies, in lumbosacral radiculopathy (LSR), a form of chronic lower back pain, began in the third quarter of 2012. The second Phase 2a clinical trial with Z160, in postherpetic neuralgia, is expected to begin enrolling patients in the fourth quarter of 2012.
- Initiated a Phase 1 multiple ascending dose (MAD) clinical study with Z944, its novel, oral, T-type calcium channel blocker which has demonstrated efficacy in a number of preclinical inflammatory pain models and other disease models. The initiation of this MAD study follows the successfully completed Phase 1 single ascending dose study in which Z944 was determined to be generally well-tolerated and a maximum tolerated dose was achieved. T-type calcium channels have been recognized as key targets for therapeutic intervention in a broad range of cell functions and have been implicated in pain signaling. Assuming Z944 successfully completes the MAD study, Z944 could enter Phase 2 clinical development in the first quarter of 2013.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts