The following provides a summary of items influencing the Company’s major product categories during the quarter, compared to the same quarter last fiscal year:
- Home appliance average selling price rose 24.4%, partially offset by a 17.4% decline in unit volume. Previous store closures caused approximately one-quarter of the decrease in unit sales. On a same store basis, laundry sales rose 14.9%, refrigeration sales increased 3.6% and cooking sales increased 24.7%. Milder temperatures drove a 26.0% decline in room air conditioner sales;
- Enhanced presentation and product selection together with increased promotional activity drove continued growth in furniture and mattress sales. Previous store closures tempered the reported increase.
- Furniture same store unit sales increased 16.4% and there was a 15.2% increase in the average sales price.
- On a same store basis, the average mattress selling price increased 41.6% with a 5.4% decline in unit volume – driven by a shift to a higher price-point product offering;
- Consumer electronic sales declined due primarily to the emphasis of higher price-point televisions and previous store closures. Same store sales of televisions with a screen size of over 50 inches rose on both a unit and dollar basis; and
- Higher tablet sales and a 28.0% increase in the average selling price of computers guided the growth in home office sales. The reported growth was partially offset by the impact of store closures, a reduction in computer unit volume and lower sales of accessory items.
All of the above amounts are preliminary estimates and are subject to change upon completion of the Company’s quarterly financial statement closing process. Actual results may differ significantly from the preliminary estimates.
The Company will host a conference call and audio webcast on Monday, December 3, 2012, at 10:00 A.M. CT, to discuss its earnings and operating performance for the quarter. The webcast will be available live at ir.Conns.com and will be archived for one year. Participants can join the call by dialing 877-754-5302 or 678-894-3020.
About Conn’s, Inc.Conn’s is a specialty retailer and operated 65 retail locations at October 31, 2012, with 57 in Texas, six in Louisiana and two in Oklahoma. The Company’s primary product categories include:
- Home appliance, including refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers, dishwashers, ranges and room air conditioners;
- Furniture and mattress, including furniture for the living room, dining room, bedroom and related accessories and mattresses;
- Consumer electronic, including LCD, LED, 3-D, plasma and DLP televisions, camcorders, digital cameras, Blu-ray players, video game equipment, portable audio and home theater products; and
- Home office, including desktop and notebook computers, tablets, printers and computer accessories.