NEWTON, Mass., Nov. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- TripAdvisor®, the world's largest travel site* today announced the results of its Thanksgiving travel survey of more than 1,500 U.S. respondents. Thirty-five percent of travelers are planning to travel this Thanksgiving, up from 34 percent who did so last year. Although airfares are on the rise, 38 percent of those traveling for Thanksgiving plan to fly to their destination, while 58 percent intend to drive.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/57937-tripadvisor-more-than-a-third-of-americans-plan-travel-for-thanksgiving
The following statistics are among those traveling for the Thanksgiving holiday:Peak Thanksgiving Travel Days:
- 31% - Thanksgiving Day, November 22
- 28% Wednesday, November 21
- 19% - Earlier than Monday, November 19
- Half of travelers will head home on Sunday, November 25 or later.
- 41% - Traveling more than 500 miles
- 26% - Traveling between 100-300 miles
- 18% - Traveling 300-500 miles
- 70 percent will drive at "off-peak" hours to try and avoid the worst of the Thanksgiving holiday traffic.
- 41% - Booked their flight early
- 35% - Will drive to their destination instead of fly
- 3% - Still waiting for prices to come down
- 47% Will stay at the home of family or friends
- 33% Will hunker down in a hotel, and
- 8% Will kick back in a vacation rental.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV