NEWTON, Mass., Nov. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- TripAdvisor®, the world's largest travel site* today announced the results of its Thanksgiving travel survey of more than 1,500 U.S. respondents. Thirty-five percent of travelers are planning to travel this Thanksgiving, up from 34 percent who did so last year. Although airfares are on the rise, 38 percent of those traveling for Thanksgiving plan to fly to their destination, while 58 percent intend to drive.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/57937-tripadvisor-more-than-a-third-of-americans-plan-travel-for-thanksgiving
The following statistics are among those traveling for the Thanksgiving holiday:Peak Thanksgiving Travel Days:
- 31% - Thanksgiving Day, November 22
- 28% Wednesday, November 21
- 19% - Earlier than Monday, November 19
- Half of travelers will head home on Sunday, November 25 or later.
- 41% - Traveling more than 500 miles
- 26% - Traveling between 100-300 miles
- 18% - Traveling 300-500 miles
- 70 percent will drive at "off-peak" hours to try and avoid the worst of the Thanksgiving holiday traffic.
- 41% - Booked their flight early
- 35% - Will drive to their destination instead of fly
- 3% - Still waiting for prices to come down
- 47% Will stay at the home of family or friends
- 33% Will hunker down in a hotel, and
- 8% Will kick back in a vacation rental.