Administrative and other expense decreased $5 million, or 9%, driven by lower legal fees and employee compensation and benefit costs, partially offset by increased pension-related costs resulting from a lower discount rate and lower return on trust assets.
Other income, net was $1 million in the third quarter of 2012 compared with Other expense, net of $3 million in the third quarter of 2011, as PGE recorded unrealized losses on the non-qualified benefit plan trust assets in the amount of $4 million in the third quarter of 2011.
Income taxes increased in the third quarter of 2012 for an effective tax rate of 33.9% compared with an effective tax rate of 28.9% in the third quarter of 2011. The higher effective tax rate for the third quarter of 2012 compared with the third quarter of 2011 resulted from a reduced income tax rate benefit from both production tax credits (PTCs) and state income tax credits resulting from an increase in pre-tax income. The effective tax rate for the nine months ended September 30, 2012 was 27.7% compared with 26.3% for the same period of 2011.
2012 Earnings GuidancePGE’s 2012 earnings are expected to be within the guidance range of $1.85 to $2.00 per diluted share, which is based on the following:
- Retail energy deliveries approximately one-half of 1% higher than weather adjusted 2011 levels, excluding certain paper customers that do not significantly impact the company’s gross margin;
- Favorable power supply operations;
- Operating and maintenance costs of approximately $105 million to $110 million per quarter; and
- Capital deferrals of $16 million for the full year, with $11 million recorded in the first nine months of 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV