Albireo Has Been Granted Orphan Drug Designation For A4250 From The US FDA For The Treatment Of Progressive Familial Intrahepatic Cholestasis (PFIC) And For Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (PBC)
About Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (PBC) PBC is a slowly progressive autoimmune disease of the liver, primarily affecting women; average age when symptoms start is around 40-50 years of age. It is characterized by destruction of bile ducts resulting in an increased bile acid concentration in the liver inducing inflammation and cirrhosis. There are more than 100,000 patients with PBC in the United States. Main symptoms are fatigue, severe itching and symptoms of cirrhosis. There is no cure for PBC, some therapeutic alternatives may slow disease progression and relieve symptoms but some patients may need liver transplantation.
About Albireo Albireo AB is a Swedish biotechnology company focused on the development of novel therapeutic alternatives in the gastrointestinal area. In addition to A4250, Albireo has a pipeline of drug candidates for the development in areas such as IBD and functional gastrointestinal diseases. The lead program, elobixibat, is ready to enter Phase III in Chronic constipation and is also in development for IBS with constipation. Elobixibat is partnered with Ferring and with Ajinomoto. The Albireo management team has a broad experience in drug development, in particular in the GI area and has an extensive network in the international scientific and clinical communities. Albireo was created as a spin-out of AstraZeneca in 2008, financed by a syndicate of leading healthcare investors, led by Phase4 Ventures, and joined by TPG Biotech, TVM Capital and Scottish Widows Partnership.
SOURCE Albireo AB
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV