THE HAGUE, The Netherlands, November 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Higher earnings driven by growth, lower expenses and favorable currency movements
- Underlying earnings increase to EUR 472 million, including a positive effect of EUR 17 million as one-time provision releases were partly offset by the negative effect of assumption updates
- Net income of EUR 374 million driven by higher underlying earnings, lower impairments and the non-recurrence of charges in the comparable quarter last year partly offset by higher taxes
- Return on equity increases to 7.7%, and 8.6% excluding run-off businesses
To view the Multimedia News Release, please click:
- Sales stable - higher accident & health sales offset by lower deposits
- New life sales level at EUR 405 million; strong sales in the US offset by NL, UK and Spain
- Accident & health sales increase 24% to EUR 190 million driven by growth in the Americas
- Deposits decline 10% to EUR 9.4 billion, reflecting lower stable value deposits
- Market consistent value of new business increases strongly to EUR 173 million as a result of product repricing and improved margins
- Continued strong capital position and cash flows
- Capital base ratio of 75.0%, in line with target of at least 75% by year-end 2012
- IGD a) solvency ratio increases to 222%
- Operational free cash flow of EUR 448 million, excluding market impact of EUR (407) million
Statement of Alex Wynaendts, CEO"During the third quarter, we were again able to capture the benefits of AEGON's strategic priorities, resulting in solid earnings growth, improved profitability of sales, lower expenses and a continued strong capital position. Our franchise remains healthy, as evidenced by the particularly high level of At-Retirement and pension sales. At the same time, we are making essential investments to reshape our businesses in both our established and developing markets to respond effectively to the changing conditions and new realities. Although there are signs of gradually improving market conditions, there remains considerable uncertainty in the general economic environment. Consequently, we believe it is prudent and necessary to maintain a sufficient financial buffer while at the same time adhering to our strict risk and pricing discipline. The steps we are taking across our organization to get closer to our end customers, combined with the strength of our current position, give us full confidence in the prospects for our business going forward."
Key performance indicators Q3 Q2 Q3 YTD YTD amounts in EUR millions b) Notes 2012 2012 % 2011 % 2012 2011 % Underlying earnings before tax 1 472 443 7 361 31 1,340 1,176 14 Net income 2 374 254 47 60 - 1,149 791 45 Sales 3 1,550 1,604 (3) 1,620 (4) 4,912 4,292 14 Market consistent value of new business 4 173 117 48 93 86 415 351 18 Return on equity 5 7.7% 6.8% 13 6.8% 13 7.0% 7.4% (5)STRATEGIC HIGHLIGHTS
- Aegon launches a new online banking platform in the Netherlands
- Workplace Savings platform launched in the United Kingdom
- Aegon regains its place in the Dow Jones Sustainability European Index
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV