Asia Stocks Slump As US Faces Fiscal Crunch
The country's international creditors have demanded that the bill and the 2013 budget, due to be voted on Sunday, pass before they consider releasing an already delayed â¿¬31.5 billion installment from Greece's â¿¬240 billion bailout. Without it, Greece will run out of money on Nov. 16.
Also being watched by investors is Thursday's opening of China's Communist Party congress â¿¿ the once-in-a-decade forum to name China's top leadership. Markets will be looking for hints on how the new leadership plans to tackle the nation's economic slowdown.
Wall Street saw its sharpest sell-off of the year. The Dow Jones industrial average plunged 2.4 percent to 12,932.73. The Standard & Poor's 500 index fell 2.4 percent to 1,394.53. The Nasdaq composite index lost or 2.5 percent to 2,937.29.
Benchmark oil for December delivery was up 40 cents to $84.84 per barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. The contract fell $4.27 to close at $84.44 a barrel in New York on Wednesday.In currencies, the euro fell to $1.2763 from $1.2767 late Wednesday in New York. The dollar slipped slightly to 79.88 yen from 79.90 yen.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV