U.S. Needs a Bankruptcy-Smart Treasury Secretary: Street Whispers
Aside from that, he believes the outlines of a solution are pretty straightforward.
"The basics of the deficit problem don't really seem to be very complicated and are widely understood by economists of all different political stripes," he says. "You could probably take 100 economists and put them in a room where half would be Democrats and half Republicans and 87 would give you the same answer," he says.
That would involve raising revenues and cutting expenses, almost certainly to "untouchable" programs such as Social Security and Medicare. If we do it too quickly, however, we would kill off growth and find ourselves in the situation much of Europe is in at the moment, Westbrook says.
As for putting a bankruptcy expert in the top job, one is hard-pressed to come up with a suitable candidate. One of the best-known restructuring experts, Wilbur Ross, supported Romney during the last election, assuming he had any interest in the job.A longtime colleague and friend of Westbrook, Elizabeth Warren, might have made many Democrats who feel the party is too much in the thrall of Wall Street very happy. And she just happens to be a bankruptcy expert. The only problem, of course, is she will be otherwise occupied, having just won the junior Senate seat in Massachussetts. Would Westbrook be willing to take the job in the office next door to the Treasury Secretary? He says he's never thought about it and has "the greatest job in the world," but would probably take the assignment if asked. "My good friend Liz also had the greatest job in the world
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV