AKRON, Ohio, Nov. 7, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) utilities have restored service to more than 2.1 million of the 2.3 million customers across its six-state service territory who lost power following Hurricane Sandy last week. Most of the 199,000 FirstEnergy customers in New Jersey and West Virginia who remain without power will be restored by the end of this weekend.
As part of the largest storm restoration effort in the company's history, more than 19,000 FirstEnergy employees, outside contractors and utility workers teamed to restore service after Hurricane Sandy's severe winds and precipitation left thousands of downed trees and branches, significant flooding and, in some areas, heavy snow in its wake. More than 595 miles of cable and wire, 23,000 crossarms, 7,200 utility poles and 3,200 transformers have been used as part of the massive restoration effort.
Across FirstEnergy's utilities, wide-reaching Hurricane Sandy affected 1.2 million Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L) customers in New Jersey; 423,000 customers of Cleveland Electric Illuminating Company (CEI), Ohio Edison and Toledo Edison in Ohio; 397,000 customers of Metropolitan Edison (Met-Ed), Pennsylvania Electric Company (Penelec), West Penn Power and Penn Power in Pennsylvania; 201,000 Mon Power customers in West Virginia; and 150,000 Potomac Edison customers in Maryland, West Virginia and Pennsylvania.
While outage restoration work is now complete in most FirstEnergy service territories, steady, around-the-clock restoration efforts continue in New Jersey and West Virginia.JCP&L's best forecast is that the remaining 177,000 customers will be restored by Saturday, November 10. There may be isolated pockets of customers located in inaccessible areas or who have individual flooding or downed line issues that will take longer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV