Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN) today announced the winners of its MiSeq grant program at the American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG) annual meeting in San Francisco. Illumina received almost 850 applications from researchers in over 40 countries in fields as diverse as microbiology, cancer, inherited disease, and evolutionary biology.
The awardees are:
- Ramunas Stepanauskas, from the Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences, East Boothbay, Maine, for sequencing single cells from unculturable strains of bacteria in the dark ocean;
- Stephen Doyle, from La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia, for investigating drug resistance in the causative agent of African river blindness; and
- Karin Haack, from the Texas Biomedical Research Institute, San Antonio, Texas, for targeted resequencing of genes implicated in cardiovascular disease.
“We are excited to broaden access to MiSeq and engage with researchers who are developing novel applications with Illumina technology,” said Gary Schroth, Distinguished Scientist at Illumina. “The grant applications we received showed an incredible range of creativity. We look forward to working with the grant recipients as they make discoveries, innovate, and accelerate the research being done in their areas of expertise.”
The MiSeq grant program was developed to enable any researcher – from novices to current Illumina customers anywhere in the world – to gain access to next generation sequencing (NGS) to further their research, as well as to advance innovation in applications that can only be enabled by NGS capabilities.Entries were judged by a team of scientific reviewers from Illumina and evaluated based upon scientific merit, originality, and applicability to the unique capabilities of the MiSeq system. Each of the three winners will receive a MiSeq, sample preparation and sequencing reagent kits, data analysis software and storage, training, and technical support valued at more than $150,000 per prize.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV