Shares of JPMorgan Chase (JPM) declined 6% on Wednesday to close at $40.46. The shares have now returned 25% year-to-date, following a 20% decline during 2011.
The shares trade for 1.1 times tangible book value, according to Thomson Reuters Bank Insight, and for eight times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $5.32.
JPMorgan's shares already have an attractive dividend yield of 2.97%, based on a quarterly payout of 30 cents, but the company's $15 billion common stock buyback plan was suspended in May, after CEO James Dimon announced that the company was facing major losses over the hedging activity of its Chief Investment Office. The company still showed a second-quarter profit of $5.0 billion, or $1.21 a share, despite $4.4 billion in hedge trading losses, followed by record earnings of $5.7 billion, or $1.40 a share during the third quarter.
Despite the second-quarter trading turmoil, JP Morgan Chase has been a good earnings performer, with operating returns on average assets (ROA) improving steadily from 0.76% to 1.01% over the past five quarters, according to Thomson Reuters Bank Insight.Dimon has indicated that he expects JPMorgan to resume share buybacks during 2013. O'Connor expects JPMorgan's dividend payout to increase to $5.567 billion in 2013 from $4.656 billion in 2012, with the stock's "implied yield" climbing to 3.3%. The analyst said that "we believe expectations are too high for JPM in particular," for the total return of capital during 2013, and he doesn't expect JPMorgan to resume common share buybacks in next year. JPM data by YCharts
Interested in more on JPMorgan Chase? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV