Today, the Board of Directors of General American Investors Company, Inc. (NYSE symbol – GAM), a closed-end investment company, declared a combined dividend and distribution of $1.40 per share on its outstanding shares of common stock as follows:
- A distribution of $1.23 per share from net long-term capital gains on securities sold.
- A dividend and distribution of $0.17 per share from estimated accumulated undistributed income for the full year 2012 and net short-term gains on securities sold.
Determination as to taxability will be provided in January 2013. Both amounts are payable on December 28, 2012 to stockholders of record on November 19, 2012, and are to be included in stockholders’ Federal income tax returns for 2012. Holders of common stock may elect to receive the dividend and distribution under one of two options:
1. Receive additional full and fractional shares of the Company’s common stock for the combined total dividend and distribution of $1.40 per share;
2. Receive cash for the dividend and distribution.The Board of Directors declared on its 5.95% Cumulative Preferred Stock, Series B, a dividend and distribution of $0.371875 per share payable in cash on December 24, 2012 to holders of record on December 7, 2012. This quarterly dividend and distribution represents a payment for the accrual period from September 24, 2012 through December 23, 2012. Preferred shareholders will be informed in early 2013 of the taxable portions of the dividend and distribution. General American Investors was founded in 1927, has been publicly traded since its inception and has been listed on the NYSE since 1930. The objective of the Company is long-term capital appreciation through investment in companies with above average growth potential. As of October 31, 2012, the Company had net assets of approximately $954 million applicable to its 28.5 million shares of common stock outstanding. The net asset value of the common stock of the Company on October 31, 2012 was $33.52 per share and the closing price was $28.57 per share. The aggregate liquidation value of the Company’s preferred stock is $190.1 million (liquidation preference $25.00 per share). Its preferred shares (symbol GAM Pr B) are also listed on the NYSE.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV