Management typically excludes the amounts described above when evaluating the Company’s operating performance and believes that the resulting non-GAAP measures are useful to investors and financial analysts in assessing the Company’s operating performance due to the following factors:
- Amortization of Acquired Intangibles. Amortization costs and the related tax effects are fixed at the time of an acquisition, and then amortized over a period of several years after the acquisition and generally cannot be changed or influenced by management after the acquisition.
- Stock-based Compensation. Although stock-based compensation is an important aspect of compensation of the Company’s employees and executives, stock-based compensation expense is generally fixed at the time of grant, then amortized over a period of several years after the grant of the stock-based instrument, and generally cannot be changed or influenced by management after the grant. In addition, the impact of shares granted under these plans is considered in the Company’s EPS calculation to the extent the shares are dilutive.
- Bookings. Although revenue is an important aspect of measuring Company performance, the Company believes total sales bookings can be a valuable indicator of the Company's performance. The Company is transitioning to a greater amount of subscription sales, which results in an increasing portion of sales being recorded as deferred revenue.
Management does not consider these non-GAAP measures in isolation or as an alternative to financial measures determined in accordance with GAAP. The principal limitation of these non-GAAP financial measures is that they exclude significant expenses and income that are required by GAAP to be recorded in the Company's financial statements. In addition, they are subject to inherent limitations, because they reflect the exercise of judgments by management about which expenses and items of income are excluded from these non-GAAP financial measures and may not be calculated in the same manner as other companies’ similarly titled non-GAAP measures.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts