STR Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: STRI) today announced its financial results for the third quarter and nine months ended September 30, 2012.
Third Quarter 2012 Financial Summary:
- Net sales of $23.1 million
- Diluted GAAP loss per share from continuing operations of $(0.09); Diluted non-GAAP loss per share from continuing operations of $(0.03)
- Finished the quarter with $70.6 million in cash and no debt
Net sales for the quarter ended September 30, 2012 were $23.1 million. This represents a decline of 8.1% sequentially and 58.9% from Q3 2011. On a sequential basis, the decline was driven primarily by a volume decline of approximately 7% and unfavorable foreign exchange impact of approximately 1%. On a year-over-year basis, volume declined by approximately 45% and ASP declined by approximately 20%.“We believe that demand has softened considerably throughout the industry on the heels of negative policy revisions, primarily in Italy and Germany, and our sequential volume reflects this,” said Robert S. Yorgensen, STR’s President and Chief Executive Officer. “We continue to execute our strategic objectives of reducing our cost structure and developing innovative products. The launch of our next-generation encapsulant is progressing well with favorable results obtained from our internal testing and the successful completion of damp heat testing with several prospective Chinese customers.” Gross profit for the third quarter of 2012 was $0.6 million, or 2.5% of sales, compared to $1.6 million, or 6.3% of sales, from the second quarter of 2012, primarily driven by unfavorable cost absorption. Selling, general and administrative expenses for the third quarter of 2012 were $5.8 million compared to $6.7 million in the second quarter of 2012. The reduction was driven by lower non-cash stock-based compensation expense and continued cost reduction efforts. Net loss from continuing operations for the third quarter of 2012 was $(3.6) million, or $(0.09) per diluted share. This compares to a net loss from continuing operations of $(2.4) million, or $(0.06) per diluted share, for the second quarter of 2012 and net earnings from continuing operations of $3.8 million, or $0.09 per diluted share, for the third quarter of 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV