Structured Finance and International Insurance Results
The structured finance and international insurance business is primarily conducted through MBIA Corp. and its subsidiaries.
The structured finance and international insurance segment had an adjusted pre-tax loss of $224 million for the third quarter of 2012 compared with an adjusted pre-tax loss of $556 million for the third quarter of 2011. Premiums earned, net investment income, fees and reimbursements, and premiums and fees on insured derivatives totaled $132 million in the third quarter of 2012. All other line items in the aggregate, except losses and credit impairments (a non-GAAP measure defined in the attached Explanation of Non-GAAP Financial Measures) and loss-related expenses, had a net $104 million negative impact on the adjusted pre-tax loss. Losses, credit impairments and loss-related expenses on insured exposures totaled $252 million in the third quarter of 2012, compared with $631 million in the third quarter of 2011.
The following is a summary of MBIA Corp.’s insured portfolio economic loss activity in the third quarter. Economic losses for a reporting period represent the change in the Company’s estimate of the present value of expected net future claims payments without regard to the manner in which they are presented in the Company’s financial statements.
3Q 2012 Economic Loss (Benefit) Activity
|($ in millions)||
|Change in Expected Payments||$||60||$||21||$||131||$||49||$||261|
|Change in Expected Salvage||(2||)||5||(8||)||(4||)||(9||)|
|Total Economic Losses (Benefit)||$||58||$||26||$||123||$||45||$||252|
* includes first-lien RMBS
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV