Voters Give Landslide Approval For Spending On Conservation Nationwide
SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 7, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Across the nation, voters of all political leanings gave overwhelming approval yesterday to taxing themselves and spending money for new parks in their communities, The Trust for Public Land announced Wednesday.
Of the 57 measures on local and statewide ballots, 46 passed, an approval rate of 81%. The measures in 21 states will provide more than $2 billion overall, including $767 million in new money to support protection of water quality, new parks and natural areas and working farms and ranches. Complete results can be found on The Trust for Public Land's LandVote website www.LandVote.org.
"From Maine to Texas to San Francisco, we saw voters across the political spectrum say yes to taxes and spending for conservation which helps their communities," said Will Rogers, President of The Trust for Public Land. "For example, in Maine, voters passed new spending for statewide conservation at the same time they elected an Independent to represent them in the United States Senate."
" Alabama voters gave their state to Mitt Romney at the same time they overwhelmingly renewed a statewide land conservation program, while Rhode Island voted for President Obama at the same time a statewide bond for open space was approved," said Rogers."This shows that while we may hold differing views about political offices, one thing which unites us all is the desire to build parks and protect land and water in our communities," said Rogers. Of the 57 measures on yesterday's ballots, The Trust for Public Land and The Conservation Campaign were active in 27 and won 24, an approval rate of 89 percent. Over the past 20 years, The Trust for Public Land has had an approval rate of 82%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV