Calpine Corporation (NYSE:CPN) today completed the acquisition from Bosque Power Company, LLC, of a natural gas-fired, combined-cycle power plant located in Bosque County, Texas. Calpine purchased the plant, which has generating capacity of 800 megawatts, for $432 million plus adjustments, or $540 per kilowatt.
“Bosque is a modern combined-cycle plant making it a good fit for our clean and efficient Texas fleet. I am pleased to welcome our new employees at Bosque to the Calpine team,” said President and Chief Executive Officer Jack Fusco. “This acquisition represents Calpine’s commitment to continue to be part of the solution to help meet Texas’ need for reliable and affordable wholesale energy as demand grows, ERCOT’s reserve margin shrinks, and the state looks to transition from a market structure insufficient to incentivize meaningful new construction to a market structure that assures reliability well into the future.”
Upon purchase, Calpine changed the name of the merchant plant to the Calpine Bosque Energy Center. The 280-acre site is located near the unincorporated community of Laguna Park in Central Texas.
The Bosque Energy Center comprises two generation blocks:
- a 250-megawatt block with one natural-gas turbine, one heat-recovery steam generator and one steam turbine that achieved commercial operations in June 2001 and
- a 550-megawatt block with two natural-gas turbines that went online in June 2000 as well as two heat-recovery steam generators and one steam turbine that achieved commercial operations in June 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV