NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Shares of the major oil companies fell Wednesday as the price of crude dropped 4 percent by early afternoon.
Investors were also concerned about specific companies. An Oppenheimer analyst said Exxon Mobil Corp.'s prospects for growth were dimmed by slower oil and gas production. Its shares tumbled to a two-month low on fears of slower economic growth.
Oil prices slid on fresh fears about the global economy, especially in Europe. European leaders predicted that the region's economy would shrink 0.3 percent this year, and forecasters expect unemployment to remain high into 2014.
Slow growth in Europe would further weaken demand for oil, which has already seen a drop in oil consumption.U.S. benchmark crude dropped $3.56 to $85.15 per barrel, erasing a 3.5 percent gain on Tuesday. Meanwhile, Oppenheimer analyst Fadel Gheit said that third-quarter oil and gas production at Exxon, the largest U.S. oil company, fell below his "worst-case scenario." Gheit said in a note to clients that the full-year production decline would be larger than the 3 percent pullback that Exxon had forecast. Exxon shares were down $2.22, or 2.4 percent, to $88.82. At one point is dropped as low as 87.70. Chevron Corp. was down $2.49, or 2.3 percent, to $107.87. ConocoPhillips fell $1.21, or 2.1 percent, to $57.01. U.S. shares of Royal Dutch Shell fell 57 cents to $68.96 and BP PLC dropped 80 cents to $41.76.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV