- NanoMarkets forecasts that smart cards with onboard power in the form of a printed or thin-film battery can penetrate as much as 20 percent of the wider (non-powered) smart card market by 2019. Powered smart cards shipments are expected to grow from about 11 million in 2012 to 500 million in 2016 and to over 1.8 billion in 2019.
- The biggest market for powered smart cards will be OTP cards, which will grow from a value of about $10.5 million in 2012 to nearly $1.4 billion in 2019.
- A key growth region for powered smart cards is Asia. Today, Asia account for less than one percent of the overall powered smart card market, but by 2019 will account for nearly half, or almost $850 million.
- Printed batteries such as those marketed by Solicore will remain the dominant battery type used in powered smart cards. The market value for such printed batteries will surpass $331 million by the end of the forecast period in 2019.
- Although LCDs dominate displays in powered smart cards today, electrophoretic displays have the highest growth potential. The market value of electrophoretic displays in powered smart cards will grow from about $1.4 million today to almost $370 million in 2019.
NanoMarkets Issues Report On Emerging Opportunities For Smart Cards With Onboard Power
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts