Forest Sector Requests Ongoing Support For Industry On The Move
OTTAWA, Nov. 7, 2012 /CNW/ - The Forest Products Association of Canada (FPAC) is asking the federal government to use Budget 2013 to continue to build on the existing momentum of innovation and transformation in the job-rich forest sector. This should include replenishment of the successful Investments in Forest Industry Transformation (IFIT) program.
The original $100 million IFIT program generated 107 applications and was over-subscribed by a factor of five, demonstrating the significant appetite by the Canadian forestry sector to develop and commercialize new innovative technologies in the areas of bio-energy, bio-chemicals and new solid wood projects. About a third of these project applications were for world-first innovations. By investing $300 million over the next three years in IFIT, the government will continue to support the ambitious Vision2020 agenda of the Canadian forest sector.
"We know the government is facing an era of fiscal restraint," says the President and CEO of FPAC, David Lindsay. "However by continuing to demonstrate support for our transformation agenda the government will maximize the return on its significant investment in industry transformation to date, help the Canadian sector lead the world in innovative products and unleash the potential of Canada's vast forest resource."
FPAC is also asking the government to improve innovation, productivity and competiveness by:
- Use the purchasing power of Public Works and Government Services Canada to kick start demand for existing and emerging forest products - from building materials to biofuels to pharmaceuticals- all products that have graduated from the innovation development process.
- Take action to increase the number of skilled tradespeople, particularly through immigration reform and efforts to engage Aboriginals and women in non-traditional roles. This will help the forest products sector reach its goal of recruiting 60,000 new employees by 2020.
- Permanently extend the Accelerated Capital Coast Allowance provisions for manufacturing equipment to help attract capital and encourage first-of-kind commercial applications of technology.
- Broaden access to the Scientific Research and Experimental Development tax credit program
- Continue to adequately fund Canada's research agencies such as FPInnovations.
- Take action to fix a monopolistic rail system that is resulting in high rates and poor service and impacting our ability to be competitive and service emerging markets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV