New report from Babson Survey Research Group, Hewlett Foundation and Pearson cites key barriers to widespread adoption of OER material in higher education
BOSTON, Nov. 7, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Chief Academic Officers and faculty at non-profit and for-profit institutions of higher education report that the adoption of open educational resources remains consistent but low, due to key barriers such as the lack of a single, comprehensive resource, according to a new report from Babson Survey Research Group, Hewlett Foundation and Pearson.
The survey of Chief Academic Officers from institutions of all types, and teaching faculty from across all types of higher education institutions, tracked attitudes and consumption of OER content from 2009 through 2011. The results focused on four main areas, including current use, potential value, awareness and barriers.
Key findings of the survey include:
- Use of OER remains consistent but low, with little increase seen over time; 50 percent reported that they "Currently use" OER content in online courses in 2011, while 49 percent reported that they "Currently use" OER material in 2009
- More than 50 percent of chief academic leaders have a very positive view of OER material and its potential value to their institution
- Chief Academic Officers and faculty report that key barriers to adopting OER are the lack of a single, comprehensive catalog of content, difficulty finding content, and concerns about time and energy spent selecting and evaluating the material
- Public non-profit institutions are most aware of OER material; nearly 60 percent report being "Aware" or "Very aware"
- Open Education Resources are not well known among chief academic officers; one-half are either "Not aware" or are only "Somewhat aware"
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV