The sale encompasses PCS spectrum and around 585,000 customers, according to a statement released by U.S. Cellular on Wednesday. The Chicago-based firm says the deal lets it focus on markets where the company has a strong position and will also boost efficiency.
"Exiting these markets enables us to play to our strengths in markets where we have higher penetration and where we can effectively sharpen our proven strategy to differentiate the U.S. Cellular customer experience from other wireless carriers," said Mary Dillon, the U.S. Cellular CEO, in the company's statement.
As part of the deal, around 10% of the U.S. Cellular customer base will move to Sprint.The transaction, which is expected to close in mid-2013, continues the trend of telecom sector consolidation. Last month, for example, Japanese firm Softbank reached a $20.1 billion deal to acquire a 70% stake in Sprint. The huge injection of capital is seen as bolstering Sprint's arsenal in the telecom battle against AT&T (T) and Verizon (VZ). Sprint shares dipped 1.2% to $5.66 before the market open on Wednesday. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV