Net operating revenues were $2.221 billion, an increase of $121 million, or 5.8 percent, compared to net operating revenues of $2.100 billion in the third quarter of 2011.
Bad debt expense as a percent of revenues was 8.5 percent, an increase of 20 basis points compared to 8.3 percent in the third quarter of 2011. The increase in bad debt expense was largely the result of the 7.9 percent increase in uninsured and charity outpatient visits.
Net patient revenue per adjusted admission was $11,579, an increase of 3.7 percent. This pricing increase primarily reflects improved terms in our contracts with commercial managed care payers.
Selected operating expenses, defined as the sum of salaries, wages and benefits, supplies and other operating expenses, increased by only 1.5 percent on a per adjusted admission basis. This favorable cost performance exceeded the Company’s expectations for the quarter. Supply costs were extremely well-controlled, declining 2.2 percent per adjusted admission.Cash and cash equivalents were $83 million at September 30, 2012 compared to $82 million at June 30, 2012. The balance on the Company’s bank line was $175 million at September 30, 2012, a reduction of $25 million as compared to a balance of $200 million as of June 30, 2012. Approximately $60 million of California Provider Fee program revenues have been recognized in Adjusted EBITDA in 2012 that have not yet been received. Outlook for Adjusted EBITDA in Fourth Quarter 2012 and Full Year 2013 The outlook range for Adjusted EBITDA in the fourth quarter of 2012 is $313 million to $353 million. This range reflects the delayed recognition of the revenue from the managed care portion of the California Provider Fee program into 2013. The Company’s Outlook for 2013 Adjusted EBITDA is in a range of $1.325 billion to $1.425 billion, slightly above analyst consensus estimates.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV